The Den of Joseph-Armand Bombardier
Built in 1946 by Joseph-Armand Bombardier, the Kingsbury’s industrial complex first housed the famous inventor and entrepreneur research center and a rubber plant that supplied the product for the Bombardier’s firm of Valcourt. Germain, the inventor’s oldest son, became the manager of the Rockland Accessories’ plant where was manufactured, amongst other things, the continuous tracks on circular presses developed by Mr. Bombardier, and sprockets encased in rubber.
Rockland Accessories was named after the former village of New Rockland, which was known for its slate mine, and was tied to Kingsbury for a long time. During his retirement, Mr. Bombardier frequented the Kingsbury research center to work on his inventions, until his death.
Rockland Accessories became Bombardier Rockland until it was sold to entrepreneur Normand Carpentier in the 1980’s. Mr. Carpentier founded Camoplast and continued with the manufacturing of rubber, linked to the Bombardier Rockland’s firm.
A labour dispute led to the closure of the Kingsbury plant in 1989. The municipal council, backed by the Quebec government, bought the building that was deemed for demolition. The council founded the Kingsbury Industrial Promotion Committee in order to set-up an industrial complex. Camoplast along with the paper manufacturer Domtar were the first tenants.
The council paid off their loans within ten years. A good part of the profits generated by the rentals is used to maintain a quality of life for the citizens of Kingsbury.